Every year companies put out math games in a desperate attempt to get parents to buy them. Unfortunately, in the past the games were nothing more than cheap counting games that couldn't entice a fly.
As a teacher, I would get these games and try to sell them to my students in hopes that I was making education fun. Deep inside I knew that these were nothing more than repetition and flash cards. However, I continued my search, hoping that one day someone would put out a fun math game. Then it happened.
Technology Improved and with it Came Cool Math Games
Now, I am not saying that the new m. games will revival World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons or Halo. However, anytime you put a math game on an iPod you have some potential for success. At least the medium for entertainment is cool.
If my kids are being forced to play an educational game on their iPhone, they can hook up the earphones, and bury their face into the screen. This way driving down the road they can look like they are playing some cool game whether they think it is or not.
Types of Cool Math Games
I was looking at some of the m. games for the iPhone and iTouch. I was drawn more towards the hokey preschool and elementary games. They have higher level games but I found myself looking at the cute pictures and animals involved in the low level math games.
Some of the games were quite interesting. They had monkeys and giraffes bouncing off walls and different levels for kids to complete. This one from Brain Counts had music playing and all kinds of rewards for completion. It would be pretty cool if you were five or six years old.
Then there are the Brain Age games. It is more of a collection of games. I am not sure how it relates on the "cool" factor scale, but it rates high on the time waster scale. If you have some time to kill, it is actually pretty good to play and it is good to pick up a few match skills to boot.
Where to Find Math Games
The easiest way to find m. games for the iPhone or the iTouch is through iTunes app store. You can go online and search their store in both free apps and paid apps. You can find the games I mentioned above at BrainCountGames.com and BrainAge.com but you will still have to download them through the iTunes.
The good news is that the iTunes app store is always adding more applications every day. If you keep looking, you are bound to find an educational game that meets your needs. Start searching today, you will find a cool math game [http://edugamesforkids.livejournal.com/285.html] to download and it just might be free.
Want to increase your vocabulary and math skills and have fun doing it? Start building the reading and writing skills today at Brain Counts Games. Find the latest apps and math games at http://www.braincounts.com.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Marianne_T._Carl
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3397203

0 comments:
Post a Comment